In the beginning...1994
Owners, CEOs and executives of the most experienced and long-standing Destination Management Companies (DMCs) in existence form the framework of the Association of Destination Management Executives International (ADMEI). These visionaries came together in 1995, after a series of exploratory meetings in which they agreed an organization was needed to represent the DMC segment of the travel and meetings industry.
ADME - The Association for Destination Management Executives was born and membership was individually based.
Over the years...
The association has been busy growing its outreach and impact on the industry. Over the years, ADMEI has:
- Defined Destination Management Company.
- Developed best practices for the DMC industry.
- Transitioned from individiual members to company members, and from a US organization to an international one...adding "I" to ADME's name - ADMEI.
- Launched a Certification program for individuals and an Accreditation program for companies. The Destination Management Certified Professional (DMCP) program offers individuals the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of the best practices in destination management. ADMEI's Accredited Destination Management Company (ADMC) program is designed to elevate professional standards and designate firms that demonstrate advanced knowledge and experience essential to the practice of Destination Management.
- Launched ADMEI Achievement Awards, an awards program (over 20 categories!) recognizing member excellence in Destination Management Company (DMC) program, component development, and delivery.
- Developed standard service agreement templates.
- Developed the Emergency Preparedness Certificate Program -- the only comprehensive event emergency preparedness and risk management training course customized for meeting, event, and Destination Management professionals.
Today, ADMEI is recognized as the global voice of the Destination Management industry and is a member of the EIC (Events Industry Council). ADMEI is the premier resource for education, standards, and practices for DMCs from around the globe.
ADMEI members represent more than 30 countries on 4 different continents, and conferences and training events are hosted in both the Americas and Europe.